Packing for your dream vacation and wondering if you should bring your favorite pieces of jewelry? Wonder no more as we provide you with 10 tips for traveling with jewelry.
Since fine jewelry has financial and emotional value, many travelers would rather leave it at home. But as long as you remember the following guidelines, you can safely travel with jewelry that is precious to you. Feel free to share them with your friends and family!
- All of your jewelry should already be photographed for insurance purposes. If you have already done this, when you travel should a piece get lost or possibly found, you can identify the piece or use the photo to prove that it’s yours.
- Be organized. Make a list of all the jewelry you are taking with you. Make two copies. Take one copy with you and store it separately from your jewelry. Leave the other copy at home.
- You might think about contacting your insurance carrier if you are taking some more valuable pieces. Notify your insurance company of your travel dates. Travelers often let their credit card companies know when they are traveling and some people like to do this when bringing special items of jewelry.
- Use a jewelry roll or jewelry travel case. Hands down, the best way to transport jewelry. You know exactly where everything is supposed to be and it is easy to pack. If you travel frequently, this is a great investment. A good travel jewelry roll/case will have compartments to keep your individual jewelry items both organized and free from tangles and scratching. This is how traveling jewelry salesmen transport their goods.
- Never take off your jewelry to go through the travel check points. If they must, let TSA (or whomever) wand you. Walk exactly in the middle of the security arches. If you get too close to one side, it will beep automatically. Remember, when you walk through an airport, you don’t know who is observing you. Be aware.
- Always carry your jewelry with you. Take your jewelry as a carry-on item. Never put your jewelry in your luggage because….luggage can get lost and bags get searched! Carry the bag yourself, don’t let anyone else carry it.
- Use the safe. Always store jewelry in the hotel safe when not wearing it.
- Smaller items can be organized using a pill box. Pill boxes are perfect for organizing and storing jewelry. They’re sturdy and inexpensive and offer another benefit, they conveniently let you plan what you’re going to wear each day of the week. The hard case also protects your jewelry from getting damaged by the contents of your bag.
- Don’t use cotton balls for packing material. Cotton balls leave fibers under prongs. If you want to wrap your jewelry, use soft cloths.
- Choose wisely, think about your travel destination. Do you really need all of your expensive jewelry? Could you leave your engagement ring at home and just take your wedding band? Don’t take too much, it is easy to get carried away. Remember, sometimes less is more. You can still make a splash by bringing a select few pieces, while leaving the rest at home.
The last tip? Enjoy your vacation, you are covered! I hope these tips help! Let me know if you have any of your own.